Joining the service crew team is the first time most guys will be a part of the Ohio Brigade Camp staff. It's different. It's hard work. However, it is one of the very important ministries at summer camp. Being a part of the service crew is rewarding to the young man who is looking to make a significant impact in the running of the camp, in the team of staff members, and in the lives of boys from all over Ohio. It is also a good stepping stone toward becoming a junior counselor at Ohio Brigade Camp.
If you think it is for you, you need to know a few things first:
- You may commit to one week (or multiple weeks with special permission) of service crew. Your acceptance is based on your application and reference forms. We prefer workers who have experienced Ohio Brigade Camp as a camper.
- You need to be willing to work wherever the camp needs you during the week/s you are committed. You are volunteering to provide necessary cleaning so that campers have a great week.
- Each applicant is required to raise a prayer support team.
- Although many of our service crew team members go on to become junior counselors, it is not guaranteed.
- If space permits, you will be bunking in the staff cabin with other central staff and service crew members.
If you still want to proceed, great! Now do the following four things.
1. Read the Job Description
Read the job description of a junior counselor carefully and decided if you are willing and able to do the following.
- A born-again Bible-believing Christian who demonstrates Christian character and has potential leadership ability.
- Minimum age of 14 years old.
- Be familiar with the Brigade programs at Stony Glen camp and/or within the local church.
Responsibilities before and during Training
- Complete all forms and applications.
- After you are accepted as a member, send out prayer support letters. (These forms will be emailed to you after you are accepted.)
- Serve in the area of the kitchen and/or sanitation - must be willing to do either.
- Work as part of a group and contribute to the camp ministry as a team member.
- Maintain a service crew schedule (will be provided).
- In the kitchen, set tables, wash dishes, assist in passing out meals, and assist cooks where needed.
- On sanitation, keep all common buildings and grounds clean on a daily basis, empty trash, and assist janitor when needed.
- Enforce safety and health regulations.
- Work closely with other service crew members to develop a “team spirit.”
- Develop an overview of Brigade camp philosophy and leadership.
Note: This position requires each service crew member to have access to secured areas. At any point in the week, the camp director reserves the right to send a service crew member home if the camp director lacks trust in that member or the member is not building team unity through his efforts.
2. Fill out the Application through the Registration Page
Before you start the online junior counselor application you need to prepare in advance to answer the following questions:
- In what church activities have you been involved?
- What positions of leadership have you held in your church?
- On another paper, please write a brief testimony. You need to explain how and when you came to know Jesus Christ. You need to explain how your spiritual life has matured since then. You need to explain what Jesus Christ has been doing in your life over the past year in greater detail.
- Please write a paragraph explaining why you want to be on service crew at Ohio Brigade Camp.
- What do you feel is your greatest characteristic that will make you effective as a member of service crew? Why do you feel this characteristic is important?
- What do you feel is your weakest characteristic that could limit your effectiveness as a member of service crew? What can you do to address this weakness?
- What person has had the greatest impact on your life? How did this person have this impact?
It is important to remember that once you start the application you must complete the entire thing. You cannot save your progress.
3. Distribute Two Reference Forms
You need to have the following two people listed below fill out the online reference form. Instruct your references to fill out and submit their form right away.
- One church leader, such as a senior pastor or youth pastor
- One to a Brigade leader, teacher, or coach
Once we have received your application and three reference forms the camp committee will make a decision and inform you of their decision by letter, email, or phone.
4. Raise Prayer Support
If you have been accepted to service crew, then you must start raising prayer support. You will do this by sending letters to family and friends explaining what Ohio Brigade Camp is, what your ministry will be, and ask them to support you in prayer.
Whatever the outcome, pray that God’s team is selected for this great opportunity. If you have any questions, contact Dale Kinkade.